Monday, January 26, 2009

A Parade in Otavalo, Ecuador

Tuesday, January 6th, 2009

The parade started right after we'd checked into our hotel, around 4 pm, what a great welcome to my favorite town. Lively people making music and dancing, very informal and I have no idea what they were celebrating. 












After the parade Janet and I checked out the famous Otavalo Market, what a treat of color and texture. I bought one of these hammocks and had a good time bargaining. General rule of thumb is offer half of what is initially quoted. And be prepared to walk away.



This is now in my living room, a lovely work of art.

I think they enjoyed the bargaining as much as I did. Janet bought one of these gourds as well.



An unusual spelling...


At the end of an eventful day of travel from Quito, settling into our new lodging, parade and market we found our favorite pizza place, cozy and very good food. We went back 3 more times in the week we were in Otavalo. Pizzeria Siciliana Ristorante, at the corner of Jose de Sucre y Juan de Dios Morales. Telf: 062925999. Live music Friday and Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment