Saturday, November 22, 2008

An amazing development!

Ian and I arrived safely at Yanayacu biological reserve yesterday, but my was it primitive! That I expected, well maybe not quite such basic facilities, but there weren't any people staying here except for us and a rather keep to himself Polish man.

The bus ride was 3 and a half hours and vendors hoped onto the bus every 15 minutes to sell us something. Pleasant and entertaining. 

Ian and I visited the San Isidro Lodge 3 km away this morning and really liked it and were contemplating jumping ship and staying there. Turns out the owner, Carmen, needed someone who spoke English and Spanish to take her place while she left town for awhile and asked if I'd do it in exchange for room and board. YES!! I am so excited to be moving there, they are coming to pick me and Ian up in a few minutes, but there is no internet connection there.  It's a lovely lodge, one of the finest in Ecuador with excellent cuisine. Yes, cuisine, not the banana we had for breakfast here at Yanayacu. 

We are both very excited, we met many birders over lunch today and I had a crash course for 2 hours on how the place is run and now I'll go to it. Can you believe it?? Amazing to me, that's for sure. I'll get to play hostess and help people have fun. Carmen said we could stay as long as we wanted and gave us a lovely 2 bedroom 1 bath bungalow to stay in.

Ian already took a group on a birding expedition this afternoon, he's in his element and loving it!!

No photos as they are too slow to download, but I'll be back...

I'll miss getting the comments and the connection to all of you.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know Amy, the Boston in you is showing! What's wrong with a banana for breakfast?

    Keep posting, it's fun to follow.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete