Monday, December 22, 2008

Moving to Mindo

The drive to Mindo ended up taking all day, and was the bumpiest ride I have ever been on. Worse even than Costa Rica! Ian loved it, he saw an awesome amount of birds and the countryside was spectacular. Our driver was excellent, very accommodating of staying at a place for 2 hours to bird, he brought snacks and managed the pothole ridden roads like a pro. I am so glad I didn't rent a car, I never could have driven the roads we were on. If you ever need an excellent driver/guide to get you to Mindo call Fausto Gomez at Tzanza Senses, tourism consulting and travel. (593) 2 2546 348. or email at fgomez@tzanzaworld.com  His English is fluent and he charge $90 for a day that went from 8:30am tp 5pm. Usually it's a 2 hour drive from Quito.

Trogan.

The bumpy, muddy road.






Tree at the Nu House hotel we stayed at.


A better photo of Rhiannon and Susan.


Monday morning and Ian and I are on our way to the small birding town of Mindo on the western slope of the Andes. We hired a driver and 4 x 4 vehicle to take us there, found them while walking around looking for somewhere else. The trip includes  4 stops along the way to bird, a coffee break, or tea for us, and delivery to our new lodging at the Dragonfly Inn. A place they recommended to us. It should be an all day excursion, it will be fun to be in a  moving vehicle that isn't a taxi or a bus.

More photos of our day will be posted if I can find internet in Mindo...

View from our room in Quito, taken with Ian's 400 mm lens.

We had dinner in Quito with our friends from La Selva, Susan and Rhiannon. We really enjoyed sharing all the joys of La Selva with them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy and Ian I am Fausto the guide who took you to Mindo. I have a special favor to ask you. Could you please tell me the brand of Ian´s camera and it´s model.Also which kind of lens that Ian is using with that camera. Because my father is birdwatcher and want to buy a camera for that porpouse, my father could see the pictures at Ian´s blog and they are really nice and clear. I will really apreciate that information. thanks a lot. Also you can check our website that is working now www.tzanzaworld.com.

    Best Regards

    Fausto

    ReplyDelete